I'm not sure what to think about this. ....Or what it is. o_O
I know that the LJ community is slowly dying out, and it's making me sad, because it's still my favorite format of social media online. I know some fannish interests have been petering out as well - the two big communities I was involved in were Naruto and MCR, one of which is (finally) ending and the other... well. Well. But, well. Here's an update? :D?
1) I feel like I've finally settled just a little bit here, which is amazing and terrifying.( Donations to Causes, and Many Many BooksCollapse )
2) In the last year I spent Christmas in Vietnam and New Year's in Osaka and Kyoto (self-indulgent videos here and here), moved houses (SIGNIFICANTLY LESS MASSIVE SPIDERS LIVING IN MY GODDAMN BATHTUB NOW. DID I TELL YOU I FIGURED OUT WHAT KIND OF SPIDERS THEY ARE??? HUNTSMAN SPIDERS. GOOGLE HUNTSMAN SPIDERS AND GET BACK TO ME ONCE YOU'VE IMAGINED TWO HAND-SIZED ONES LIVING BEHIND YOUR TUB AKBJGEBEJKG), visited nilladriel in Malaysia, visited Akita again, got a Harry Potter tattoo, went home for the summer, got my Japanese driving license (on the third try, which is, believe it or not, better than the average for foreigners here in Kagoshima), and joined a Tahitian dance class.( SO MANY PHOTOSCollapse )
In the last few months I did the ice bucket challenge, watched The Maze Runner, Rurouni Kenshin: Great Kyoto Fire (in the theater!), and Maleficent, hosted a Halloween party for the neighborhood kids (while dressed as Maleficent) with caremel apples, pumpkin carving, and apple bobbing, wrote a wee blog post about covering up tattoos for my website, helped nurse a sickly month-old kitten back to health after a typhoon, and started planning another trip to the UK where I hope to hang out with atanih88 and syrraki before picking up paranye and heading to Scotland for a week-long backpacking trip about the castles and standing stones with x_dark_siren_x. If you're in the area and want to say hello, I would absolutely love that. :'D
3) My students are adorable and hilarious as always - here's Adventures With English in the Japanese Classroom, Part 2:
( MY PRIDE AND JOYCollapse )
4) I have a hideously embarassing amount of new cat photos. >.>;;;;;;;; So many that they probably need their own post, in fact.
5) I WENT TO THE FREAKING "WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER" IN OSAKA AND I CRIED A LOT.( HARRY POTTERRRRRRRRRCollapse )
PS: Is everyone keeping up on TV? I'm struggling with the newest season of Doctor Who (though I like Capaldi) and the finale was ehhhhh (although the reveal about Missy nearly saved everything, A+), and haven't watched Supernatural in aaaaaaaaaaaages. I enjoy the existence of Broad City, though somehow find it harder to identify with than Big Bang Theory, which is... weird, because wow is that ever a problematic fave.
PPS: Captain America 3 will be Civil War (obviously), a dumb Age of Ultron ending has apparently leaked, and they're finally makfing both Black Panther and Captain Marvel (but still no Black Widow!!!!!!). Thoughts?
PPPS: In one of my bi-seasonal arguments with my father I recently told him that my friend, who he'd met, had thought he said something sort of racist. So he spewed a lot about how amazingly open-minded he is, and capped it off by saying that though he knew we'd never talked about it, he's fine with the fact that I may be a lesbian. I'm so mad. It is, objectively, one of the few non-insulting things he has ever assumed of me - usually it's stuff like 'you don't have your own opinion, your mother implanted that' or 'you didn't actually take the SATs when you were 12 years old, ie you must be too stupid to know the name of the test you took' - but he doesn't know me, doesn't see me more than once per year, and he doesn't have any right to passinggly make assumptions about my life, especially based on probably very stereotypical speculation. It's like walking up to someone and saying, "I know you really like to eat apples, but we don't have to talk about that right now," and then moving on in the conversation and you're left there like ???????????????????????
- Currently Nesting:At Work
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE ENDING?
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON TRAILER
I THINK MY FACE JUST EXPLODED
Naruto was the first huge fandom I made amazing friends in, the fandom I MET ALL OF YOU in, the first huge fandom I wrote numerous stories for, one of the first fandoms I fell headlong into despite its MANY IMPERFECTIONS, and then stopped reading about four years ago because... no conflict resolution??? no character development??? too many fights???
BUT NOW IT'S ENDING. LET'S TALK ABOUT IT? THOUGHTS? FEELINGS? FAVORITE FICS AND ART TO REMINISCE WITH???? FOND MEMORIES??? ANGRY RANTS????
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT NARUTO ENDING?
- Currently Nesting:My Closet Desk
I like to keep it for my bad days, when I need a little help remembering that ladies can kick serious amounts of ass. :D
How Are You Dealing With the Void That MCR's Breakup Has Left Behind?
Summary: Radical, Liberal, Queer: Captain America Revealed as Never Before in CCNY's New Curriculum.
A/N: The title is from Laurence Binyon's poem 'For the Fallen.' I had the honor of being chosen by what_alchemy, who has written a hilarious, touching, meta-tastic masterpiece. I have read it again and again, and feel the same joy every time I do. Go read her story. :D
Other Links: ARBB | Ao3 | Tumblr | DeviantArt
(Immigration) "Fairytale of New York" - Keating and Brennan | (New York) "New York Town" - Woodie Guthrie | "Brooklyn" - Jesse Malin | (Sarah Rogers, Surffragette) "Keep Woman in Her Sphere" - Spooky Qs | "Bread and Roses" - Joan Baez | (Poverty) "We Shall Overcome" - Pete Seeger | (Steve Rogers, Bullheaded Activist) "It Isn't Nice" - Malvina Reynolds | (War) "Working Class Hero" - Green Day | (Steve's Flight Down) "Solo Flight" - Benny Goodman & Orchestra | (Lost Years) "Let's Keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn" | (Waking Up) "It's Been a Long Long Time" - Tina Louise | (The Changing World) "Brooklyn Dodgers" - I Am the Avalanche | "Born in the USA" - Bruce Springsteen | "Brooklyn Bound" - The Black Keys | (Taking Down Hydra) "Take the Power Back" - Rage Against the Machine | (Healing) "Trouble Man" - Marvin Gaye
Fic Title: Steve Rogers Might Wear Tights, but He's Not Your Pin-Up Girl
Summary: Bucky enrolls in a college course about Captain America. It doesn't go well.
- Currently Nesting:My Closet Desk